I got back from my R&R three days ago and it has been a non-stop blur of meetings, counseling, and services.
It is so nice to be back with the Soldiers and help point them towards God’s peace, grace, and mercy. When I walked into my office, the first thing that I noticed is that I had apparently “won” the Battalion piñata for the month. What happens is that at the end of every month, the Battalion gets together and has a meal and shares stories about stupid things that people have done. Then we all vote by round of applause for the dumbest event, and that person gets to keep the piñata in their office for the next month.
Why did I win? Those of you that know me know that I have a mischievous streak in me. One day I was in the command group office and found that the Battalion Executive officer had left his ID card in his computer and left the room. So, I decided that I would add a mustache to his picture. It was a really great mustache and made him look a lot like Luigi of the Mario Brothers. I quickly left without being spotted and went back to my office. I laughed at the thought of him not noticing the mustache for weeks or months. It only took him 10 minutes. I later found out that instead of using dry erase markers, I had accidentally used a permanent marker. So, needless to say, the piñata has found a nice home with me for the month.
For those of you praying for us:
I ask that you pray for God to put me in the right places at the right times. I have over 800 Soldiers, 7 different companies, and they are located on over 11 different forward operating bases. I cannot see how I am going to be able to get to them all as much as I want to before my assistant goes on his R&R. We also have to coordinate carefully with the other Battalion Chaplain because we cannot both be gone at the same time because of our mission to the convoys and the mortuary affairs Soldiers.
I also ask that you pray for our Soldiers and their family members. More specifically, I ask that you pray that God help remind everyone of the worth in their relationships. There is a huge cost that our Soldiers and family members pay while being deployed. And, when you cannot be around each other much, the costs appear to outweigh the benefits. “I don’t see anything left to hold us together,” is what I often hear from my Soldiers in regards to their relationships.
Thank you for your prayers and support!

No comments:
Post a Comment