Jeshanah, and named it Ebenezer; for he said,
"Thus far the LORD has helped us."
-1 Samuel 7:12
Lindsay and I started dwelling on this verse heavily when we arrived to Ft. Drum in September of 2009. This is one of those verses that, for us, provides comfort, hope, and refreshes our sense of purpose. 1 Sam 7:1-12 shows us how, when God's people return to Him, God-sized events are not far away. For me, God-sized events are the times that life seems to be heading one direction, and God shows up and redirects, speeds up, or slows down our course. I do not seek to define what these events look like for everyone because they are so different for us all. However I do see that there is one commonality that is present in every case. The credit goes to God, and God alone. People's lives are changed and that spot of their lives is marked with God's grace and love. Samuel wanted to make sure that everyone who passed by that stone knew that God, and God alone, had delivered the people that day.
Lindsay and I never thought that I would be an Army Chaplain. When God started putting it on my mind it seemed like a funny joke. As time passed and it kept coming up, it began to seem more like a bad joke because the sacrifice, hard work, and stress began to set in. However, through all the paperwork, selection boards, and stress, God continued to move in ways that only He can do. There were times that I would hang up with my recruiter having just been told that I was not a valid candidate and would not be able to join the Army. Then, a couple days later I would get another call saying that my paperwork was due to go before the selection board. I was told that I would have to go into the National Guard at 10:00 and then was called back at 12:00 and told that I could go active duty (I remember the times because Lindsay and I were driving from Asheville to Ashboro to go to the zoo). The thought of me deploying and leaving for a year was a hard one, but neither Lindsay nor I were ever overwhelmed by it. God placed the right people in our paths to help affirm that this was God's calling on our lives.
All of these events, and so many more, led us to the point of knowing without any doubt, God, and God alone, has helped us to this point in our lives. God has called us to serve the men, women, and families of our military. We are honored to be given such a great and awesome task.
Lindsay and I never thought that I would be an Army Chaplain. When God started putting it on my mind it seemed like a funny joke. As time passed and it kept coming up, it began to seem more like a bad joke because the sacrifice, hard work, and stress began to set in. However, through all the paperwork, selection boards, and stress, God continued to move in ways that only He can do. There were times that I would hang up with my recruiter having just been told that I was not a valid candidate and would not be able to join the Army. Then, a couple days later I would get another call saying that my paperwork was due to go before the selection board. I was told that I would have to go into the National Guard at 10:00 and then was called back at 12:00 and told that I could go active duty (I remember the times because Lindsay and I were driving from Asheville to Ashboro to go to the zoo). The thought of me deploying and leaving for a year was a hard one, but neither Lindsay nor I were ever overwhelmed by it. God placed the right people in our paths to help affirm that this was God's calling on our lives.
All of these events, and so many more, led us to the point of knowing without any doubt, God, and God alone, has helped us to this point in our lives. God has called us to serve the men, women, and families of our military. We are honored to be given such a great and awesome task.
Wow! I just got studying this part of scripture in the Beth Moore Bible study I am doing. I think "thus far" is a perfect name for the blog. I will be following your journey and praying for you. Your family has been in my thoughts and prayers so much lately. Stay safe.
ReplyDelete