Friday, March 9, 2012

Professionalism

What is professionalism?  This is a term that I am learning to define differently as of late.  Since joining the Army, I have been given the opportunity to stand with some of the greatest professionals that I have ever known.  As many of you know, a couple weeks ago some actions by Soldiers on the base caused riots and demonstrations in the surrounding areas.  The protest here was just outside one of the gates which was too close for my comfort.  The day after the protest, I was visiting all my Soldiers and checking in with them to make sure that every ones nerves were in check.  I made my way around the base, and eventually came to a new company to our Battalion.   

This company is a group of Soldiers that supply ammo to our base, and all the other bases around us.  Because they are new to me, I have tried to spend as much time as possible learning from them exactly what they do.  A few weeks ago they were explaining how the process of getting ammo from them to the soldiers works.  I got lost in all the technical terms and the mountain of paperwork, but the gist is that every piece of ammo (or any property for that matter) is always accounted for by someone.  This means that everything is on some persons hand receipt, meaning that they are financially responsible for it.  One pallet of Ammo can cost a small fortune, and someone has to sign for it. 

On this particular visit, I learned that on the day of the protests, the guards for the base came to these Soldiers with a need for support due to the protests.  The protestors were getting out of hand and the situation was growing more and more stressful.  Simply put, the Soldiers needed an alternative to live-rounds to help the situation.  My Soldiers had to quickly analyze the situation, make the decision, and trust that the paperwork would be completed after the fact (which puts all the risk and accountability on the Soldier).  I realize that this might not resound with those who are not in the military, but to let someone walk out the door with something that belongs to you is a very difficult thing to do.  Should that equipment go missing or be damaged, you are held responsible and it could possibly be something that haunts the rest of your career in the military. 
In the end, the Soldier made the right decision and accepted the potential risk.  The Soldiers at the gate got what they needed and the situation soon de-escalated.  I was almost speechless as the Soldier talked to me about the situation and the role that he played in it.  When he was done I told him how amazing that was and that his actions saved lives.  He told me, “it is not that big of a deal Chap, this is what we are here to do.”  What is a professional?  A professional has developed a gut feeling of what “right” looks like.  A professional knows that the right decision remains right even when there is a large amount of risk involved.  A professional sees the right decision as the standard, not the exception.

1 comment:

  1. We've been praying for the safety of you and your men. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete