Monday, May 7, 2012

Its been a tough week.  Reading over all the grammer errors and typos in my last post show how tired I am.  : )     
In the past 10 days, we have had more than 10 fallen Heroes comes through morturary affairs.  Seeing so much loss is difficult.  The proces for me as a Chaplain is that the transfer case is before me and I give a scripture/prayer, and then the Hero is moved from the Building and into a transport vehicle which drives straight to the runway where there is a larger Ramp ceremony waiting.  My mind keeps calling me back to all the times that I have dressed up in my Army service uniform and gone to someones house with a casualty notification officer to deliver terrible news...    
Honoring our fallen is one of the things that the military does better than anywhere else.  While working at the hospital, there was always a rush (sometimes percieved, sometimes real) to get the loved ones in to grieve, get the information needed, and then move the deceased out and get the next patient in.  I was told by a casualty notification officer once that for every one fallen Hero, there is around 200 or so people who are immediately called, paged, woken up, and put to work to honor the Soldier, and inform the family members as soon as possible.  
Also, one of my Soldies just found out that thier fiance died in a car accident.  They were going to get married when the Soldier returned home in three months.  The Soldier cried as we walked around the block to get away from the office for a little while.  The Soldier showed me the paper that carried the terrible news.  It amazed me how such a frail and small piece of paper can carry such weight.  The Soldier could not and would not believe the news at first.  And honestly, probably still doesnt believe it.  Please pray for this Soldier as they travel back home to attend the funeral.

For me, things are busy and I am a delayer when it comes to my grief and stress so I should be good to go until my Brigade CH gets back.  AND THEN I GO ON LEAVE!  The thought of playing with my sons and being next to Lindsay fills me with joy and energy!  

Thank you for your prayers and support! 
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for keeping us updated! I admire the strength it takes to help people get throughout such difficult times. You're an Angel to them!

    ReplyDelete