Saturday, May 5, 2012

We are on the downhill side of the deployment!  It is great to realize how quickly our time has gone.  In the last week or so, I have been filling in for our Brigade Chaplain who is home on R&R.  My days begin early and end late and are filled with a lot of different meetings and events.  Also, one of the companies that I work with is the Soldiers in Mortuary Affairs.  We have been busy in the past week the duty is tough.  I am constantly amazed at how professional and honoring the Soldiers are to our fallen heroes.  I find it such an honor to be their chaplain. 

I am also the only Chaplain here to preach at our service, which adds to the stress.  I figured that I would get a three week series together since that opportunity will not present itself again until we get back home.  The idea is to look at three sentences Jesus said that made (and should make) a huge impact on his followers.  Last week was Matthew 10:39 "Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."  This week is Matthew 19:30 "But many who are first will be last, and the last shall be first."  And then next week will be "But whoever wants to be great among you must be last, and a servant to all."  I look forward to see how God shows up in my life, and in the lives of those that attend our service. 

Another development in the last week or so is that another one of our battalions has make it over here with us from Ft. Drum.  I know their Chaplain very well and we celebrated him being here by doing some "aroma therapy" (smoking cigars) which gave me a terrible headache the entire next day.  Headache aside, it is good to get back into the same area with someone that you know. 

Our Soldiers are doing pretty well.  I anticipated that the 6 month mark would see an uptick in the number of counselings that I do. And I was right.  Fights with family members back home, and conflicts with the people working around us is growing.  Because I expected this to happen, I intentionally held on to some cards from people back in the states to save them for days that Soldiers are more stressed out than usual.  Two or three days ago the stress was high.  I went around handing out the cards and it was fun to see how it lifted so many Soldiers' spirits.  I ask that you pray for our Soldiers to be re-united the with the importance of our mission, and the purpose of our deployment. 

My morale is high for the simple fact that my R&R will be in two weeks!  I cannot wait.  I am tired of playing with Ethan via skype.  Yes, we do i have a lot of fun (though my Soldiers in the computer lab while I am on skype think I am insane), but I cant wait to be able to run around with him, and play with little William who I am told is starting to stand up on his own now!  Thinking about it makes me feel jittery.   

As always, please pray for our Soldiers protection. 

Thank you so much!  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting and update Jesse! Continued prayers for you and your men. I know it's so hard being away from those sweet boys... The legacy you are leaving them will far surpass this temporary separation!! God's hand Is on all of you!

    More cards headed your way!!

    ReplyDelete