Good Morning World! I have finally gotten access to my blog again and wanted to post some pictures of things that have been going on over the past couple weeks.
The picture below is the beginnings of the new addition to our office. Well, honestly our original office was little more than a closet so this new room almost triples the amount of room that we have. This makes my assistant very happy because he no longer has to leave when I am counseling with Soldiers. And I am very glad that we are able to leave the "fox hole" much better than when we got here.
A couple days ago I was given the honor of recieving the Bronse Star Medal. This is myself and Col. Ryan, my Brigade Commander just after the ceremony. I am very pleased to recieve this honor and owe it to my assistant who makes all my crazy ideas happen, the Soldiers that show up, and my command who is always supporting me to "be where the Soldiers are." So to clarify, I recieved this award as an End of Tour award. This is not due to a specific event as if I took out a whole enemy position with my bible or something like that. It is because my command has recognized the job that I have done throughout this year to be above and beyond what I was supposed to do. At the beginning of our deployment I had the goal of doing more battlefield circulations than anyone in the brigade except the brigade commander. After adding all of our trips up, we have traveled almost 6500 miles in the past year.
This is a picture of myself and my boss, the Battalion Commander, LTC Matthews. From day one, he has always supported me and said that his goal for me was to be with Soldiers where they were. That is a great gift to a Chaplain because it means that instead of spending our time sitting in meetings, we can be out and about getting to know the troops and ministering to them. Oh, and the head at the bottom is my Battalion CSM Phillips.
This is my new home for a couple weeks. They are force provider tents that everyone in my battalion is staying in so that our replacements can move straight into thier rooms. I have heard a couple of negative remarks about our new living arrangments, but for the most part everyone is just really happy to be one step closer to being home!
And below is a picture of the Bagram mountians just before sunrise on a morning that we were getting ready to fly out to another base to visit Soldiers. 
For those of you praying for us:
I would ask that you pray for our safety. I dont want to spend much time on it, but there has been some craziness in the past week or so that has the potential to do a lot of harm. My prayer is that God confuse those who have no regard for the lives of others, and keep his protection around our Soldiers, civilians, and Soldiers of other nationalities.
I also ask that you keep all of us and our families in your prayers. It is an odd feeling to know that you are getting ready to go home to a family that is a year older. And, there are some that are going home to empty homes and depleated bank accounts.
No comments:
Post a Comment