The Season of Advent (the time before Christmas for us Baptist Folks)
is something that I was unaware of until I started working at a Methodist Church during my seminary days. As I sat through the Sundays prior to Christmas, it was clear that Advent is about anticipation of what God has done, is doing, and will do. We didn’t have a wreath and that same Methodist Church sent us one to use during this season (thank you Buford Street UMC!). I didn’t really think anyone would care about us having an advent wreath, but this week is the 4th week in advent and I have heard a comment from Soldiers every week saying that it means a lot to them to be able to help out in the readings, and lighting of the wreath each week. It’s a reminder of home, of hope, and of God. This time of year is difficult for all of us who are separated from our families. Please pray that the right people walk in at the right time to help our Soldiers. This happened to me yesterday, as my family celebrated Ethan’s second birthday party. A good way to deal with it is to not dwell too long on how much you want to be there, but sometimes you cannot shake how much you miss your family. I was walking outside and one of our Soldiers met me and we started talking. I asked how he was doing and he said, “alright, but I am really missing my family because my sons’ first birthday party is going on right now.” Thank you God! I immediately shared that Ethan’s was happening as well and we began to talk about all that we love and miss about our sons. This was a complete God-send to us both because instead of having to get bogged down in how much we want to be home, we were able to share about our joy and love and longing for our families. And since we were both going through the exact same thing, we both completely understood. I left that conversation feeling recharged and energized because I knew that this conversation was a gift to me, and to this other Soldier. Thank you God!

No comments:
Post a Comment