Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas Time

A few days before Christmas we took 97 care packages to the airstrip to be packed up and airdropped into some of the remote bases throughout the area.  I was amazed by how people back home sent us care packages!  Because I am at a large base, we have almost everything we need which gives us the great opportunity to be able to ship packages our to places that are not as fortunate.  I have already heard from one Soldier who was very happy to receive personal hygiene products because the area he is in does not have a PX to purchase it. 
  At first we were overwhelmed by moving all the boxes from our office to the van, but when we arrived, we were immediately helped by some of the locals who work with the riggers.  I always like working with them because some of them are really energetic, and ready to help however they can. 




I was told that the ruins on the furthest hill was built by Genghis Khan, and
the nearest one was built by Alexander the Great.   
A day or so after packing up the care packages, my assistant and I made the trip to a small base that does not have a permanent chaplain.  We were lucky enough to be able to jump on a Chinook on the morning of the 22nd and almost froze to death as we made the ascent from our home base (at 4500 ft above sea level) to the small base (8000 ft above sea level).  We were met on the helicopter pad by our Soldiers and driven to their area of operation.  Just after we unloaded our gear we were challenged to a game of basketball on the outdoor court.  Still shivering, I took the opportunity to build others up by showing them how awful I am at basketball.  My assistant and I only lasted a few points before we realized that breathing at 8,000 ft is a lot different than 4,600. 






On Christmas day we held a service that filled the chapel.  We had a few contractors, 4-6 Polish Soldiers, and the rest were US servicemen and women. It is always so encouraging to me to see how eager people are to gather together and sing familiar songs, to take communion, and to hear the birth story of Christ again.  We had a couple of Soldiers volunteer their time to work with my assistant in singing and playing music, and two others who volunteered to read some of the Scriptures during the service.  I was also really glad to have some small candles that my parents sent over to us.  I always enjoy ending a Christmas service with candlelight.  It was such an honor to be able to provide this service for such a mixed group of nationalities, services, and jobs. 

We jumped back on a chopper and flew back home on the 26th and have been swamped ever since.  I really like coming back from other bases because everyone wants to her about how things are at other areas.  It makes me laugh because they are almost saying, “what news of the outside world?” as they ask about living conditions, places to eat, and how the Soldiers they know are doing. 

Oh!  And I must brag on my Christmas tree sent to me by Lindsay, Ethan, and William.  I believe that Williams two feet, and Ethan's hands make up the trunk, and then the “ornaments” are a collaboration between the two of them.  Best tree I’ve ever had!


For those praying for us:

   Please remember all the Soldiers behind the scenes.  The Soldiers who delivered the tons and tons of Christmas mail, the workers in the dining facility who prepared and oversaw all the Christmas decorations, the dinner, and the cleanup, and so many more Soldiers that always work in places that many people do not see. 

   I also ask that you pray for our religious support teams as we work to meet people where they are, whether that be celebrating life, or mourning the loss of loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment