I cannot believe that it is already December!
I ran out of time on my Internet access and will not purchase more until next week so I cannot post any pictures of the past couple weeks.
Energy and motivation is fairly high right now. For me, I am always looking for the next neat thing I can learn. Some of the Soldiers laugh at me because I still find the "army stuff" really cool. When soldiers are about to leave out on a convoy, I am always asking them questions as the check all their gear, vehicles, and guns. At first they thought I was just doing it to make sure they had checked all their equipment. Now they know that I am fascinated by it and humor me by telling me what they are doing as they go through their checks. One of the latest examples was when I was with the Riggers a couple weeks ago. I had heard that they were going to air drop a forklift into a remote FOB (Forward Operating Base). I cannot put a picture of it up now, but here is the Army Times write-up about it which has some good pictures of it:
http://www.army.mil/article/69951/Heaviest_air_load_ever_dropped_in_Afghanistan/
And our Brigade Facebook page has some good pictures of the whole process:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=319044388112110&set=oa.10150426639748205&type=1&theater
I cannot tell you how awesome it was to see the Soldiers strapping the forklift down. I was giddy as they were explaining how it was all going to work. One of the officers looked at me and said "chappie, this really isn't that big of a deal." But I still could not get over it. They were getting ready to drop a 4k forklift out of the back of a plane! As I looked closer, my excitement only grew. The size of the forklift compared to the small ropes that held it, the parachutes, and the platform together baffled me. The drop went perfect, and everybody was happy.
That next morning my devotional scripture was 1 Cor. 12:12.
12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ.
Isn't it amazing how the word of God cuts us to the core, yet still fills us up at the same time! I was smacked in the face with the different times that I assume that I am a hand , or a parachute when God has placed me in a situation to be something else. Not a parachute, but perhaps a small knot. A knot so small that you don't even see it compared to the size of the situation, but it is there, helping to hold things together.
For those praying for us:
Please pray for the Soldiers who are struggling in their marriages, and are trying to find help. I feel frustrated many times because people will put off coming to speak with me or another Chaplain until the absolute last second. Why not go to us first, before you marriage gets so bad that it would take a miracle to save it! And I also struggle sometimes because I want a button like the "easy" button on the Staples commercials that has "Jesus" on it. So many of our problems could be helped out (if not completely avoided) if we would allow Christ into our lives.
Where was I?
Ah yes, prayer for marriages! We have already had a couple family emergencies back home which has required the Soldier to go back home. This is not a pleasant process, and it is really difficult for the Soldiers here, who lose their battle buddy, for the Soldier going home because they feel like they are abandoning their Soldiers, and for the families back home who are having to deal with issues ranging from a death of a family member, to medical issues.
Thank you so much for your prayers!
No comments:
Post a Comment